This is a 1970 XKE, series 2, 4.2 liter (matching number), 4-speed manual and wire wheels. This Jaguar was previously owned by a mechanical engineer in North Carolina that had it for 20 years. The 4.2 liter 6 cylinder engine runs very strong and has great oil pressure. Engine has no oil leaks and the exhaust blows no smoke.
This is a numbers matching car and has the full synchronized 4 speed gearbox. All gauges work, except clock which probably stopped working in 1971.
When looking for an XKE the most important item to pay attention is the integrity of the body. These cars were not meant to last this long and rust and prior accidents are a major concern. The body on this Jaguar is very nice and rust free. It still has all its original body panels excepts for the front floor dipped wells, which is a very common replacement. There are no rust bubbles on the body. The paint is shinny but it was not a great paint job, done about 15 years ago. Car was originally willow green, the color conversion was comprehensive as it was properly painted red under the bonnet, the engine frame rails and inside the trunk.
Chrome on the car is quite good as are the wire wheels and tires. Seats are the proper leather and have the correct diamond shape perforations. The carpet is the correct color but wrong material. The soft top is very good with a clear rear plastic window.
The prior owner made some performance improvements which make this e-type faster and more responsive than your typical series 2 XKE.
- Converted from dual Stromberg carbs to triple Stromberg carbs
- MSD ignition was added for performance and reliability
- ANSA free flow exhaust .... car sounds great!
- Stock exhaust manifolds were replaced with performance manifolds - engine breaths better
- Has after market steering wheel, which actually feels very good when driving. I can replace it with an original steering wheel if desired. The original steering wheels are actually thin and flimsy. The new owner can choose which steering wheel he prefers.
- Integrated radar detector
Includes spare tire with holder, full tonneau cover, jack, knock off hammer, special knock off adapter, CD-ROM with repair and parts manual Overall this car is a good driver than can be used "as is" and could be cosmetically refurbished at a later date if desired.