1966 Jaguar e-type series 1 4.2 coupe Diary of restoration – continued

1966 Jaguar e-type series 1 4.2 coupe Diary of restoration - continued

March 9, 2011

A new stainless steel exhaust system is being installed. The down pipes and central muffler has been fitted. This is a good opportunity to show the car's undercarriage. It really looks good underneath. The floors and rockers are original.

March 18, 2011

Started working on the interior. The door frames and glass were installed. The fascia around the gauges had a defect where the hot lighter created a burn mark. Unfortunately this is rather common and I have yet to find an exact replacement for this heavy grain material. Luckily I have an extra gauge board and will be replacing it. You can see the excellent condition of the original floors. The interior pieces are also original. The fuel pump was serviced and fuel delivery tested.

March 22, 2011

Since the gauge board was to be replaced, I took the opportunity to remove all four fuse blocks and had them beat blasted. The photo shows two blocks that were blasted and two that had not been blasted. Most electrical problems are caused by bad connections where the fuse connects in the block. Once the blocks were cleaned the fuses were installed using Dielectric grease. It looks scary with all the wires hanging, but I've done this many times and it came back together quickly.

March 25, 2011

Today's major accomplishment was the installation of the windshield and back glass. This is one of those jobs I let the professionals handle. Luckily there is a local glass installer than has the patience and knowledge to deal with the old style rubber gaskets used on the Jaguar. It took him over 3 hours, but the job got done. Also, the steering wheel was replaced with a brand new wheel, which looks fantastic. With the glass now installed it sure is starting to look like a complete car.

April 10, 2011

The car went to Coventry West as I was having problems with the intake manifold sealing correctly. They used a different type of gasket which fixed the problem. While the car was there, the engine was started and the carbs received their initial tune. I am happy to say the engine sounds very good! Unfortunately the tires have a sever flat spot and the car cannot really be test driven until the new wire wheels arrive, which have been on back order for as month. Meanwhile with the car back home I can re-assemble the interior. The two door panels are now installed, as is the transmission cover. I took a few photos of the car outside the garage.

April 12, 2011

Heat entering the interior cabin from the engine and the exhaust system are known problems on the e-type. There are several product on the market that do a much better job at blocking heat than the original jute that the factory installed. On this car a kit made by KoolMat was used. This is a relatively new kit and the first time I use this material. The kit came with 18 pieces, all nicely labeled. I thought it was going to be as easy as installing carpeting but it was much more difficult. KoolMat does not have the flexibility and ease of installation as products such as Dynamat, but the heat shielding characteristics are better. It took over a day and modifications to the pre-cut pieces was neeeded, plus making several pieces not included in the kit. It was a lot more work than I expected but I think the results will be worth the effort.

April 14, 2011

Car is done!

Scroll to Top