1966 Jaguar e-type series 1 4.2 coupe Diary of restoration - continued

January 30, 2011

The Jaguar transmission is supported by a spring with two rubber seats and a rubber bushing. All the parts were cleaned, painted and new rubber components installed.

February 1, 2011

Installed the chrome bonnet beads, installed front bumpers, front turn signals, rear lights, reverse light and one of the rear bumpers. Bumpers were just chromed and the front and rear lights.

February 7, 2011

Installed ball joints and tie rod ends. The front sway bar was detailed and new bushings installed on the links, plus new sway bar bushings. The sway bar will be installed in a few days. The rear quarter windows were installed.

February 9, 2011

Front sway bar is now back on the car. Installed a multi-blade radiator cooling fan. The original 2 blade fan is simply pathetic. This car is going to be driven and it better run cool. Started to rebuild the carbs. Took the first carb apart and is now clean and ready to be put back together.

February 12, 2011

All three carbs are now rebuilt. Front shocks were installed. Front bearings were repacked with synthetic grease and new hub seals installed. Left brake rotor (new) and front caliper were installed. The other brake rotor was backordered and is coming from England in about a week.

February 24, 2011

New cooling hoses and proper British clamps are being installed. New header tank was purchased as they tend to rust from the inside out. Intake manifold was installed and I started installing the carbs. Distributor was rebuilt and installed. Second brake rotor came in and is now installed.

February 26, 2011

Alternator was tested by a local shop and found to be working well. It is now installed along with the water pump belt. The rest of the cooling hoses have been installed. I started to make the spark plug wires. These need to be measured, cut and the ends soldered.

March 6, 2011

The exhaust manifolds were ceramic coated and I was very pleased with the results. This is the first time I use this process and I hope it lasts longer than porcelain. New exhaust hangers were installed. Manifolds were installed using brass nuts. For the first 500 miles the engine will run on 10w-40, then it will be changed to 20w-50. I still need to install the exhaust and test the fuel pump before the engine can be started.

Scroll to Top